Search

What Is Staircasing?

Updated: Apr 20, 2020

For all those looking to buy a house in 2020, this article is for you.


Whether you’re set on buying a shared ownership property or just want to know your options, we’re unpacking one important of housing topic - staircasing.


Firstly, let’s have a recap on what Shared Ownership is. It’s owning a proportion of a property by a mortgage, this being the share of the property that belongs to you. The other proportion of the property is owned by a housing association who charge you rent on the remaining share.






Staircasing can occur once you have lived in said property for a certain period of time. It allows you to buy further shares in your property. So if you started off purchasing the property with a mortgage covering 25% I.e. you own 25% of the property and pay rent on the other 75%, you can gradually staircase to 100% and become the become an outright owner, and you will no longer need to pay rent.


Fempire Finance

12 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All
QUICK LINKS
  • Instagram
  • Twitter
  • Pinterest
ABOUT

Fempire Finance is an educational platform designed to change money mindsets and offer personal finance information.

Get FETCH (Financially Empowered, Thriving, Confident and Headstrong) with thousands of ladies around the world. 

Copyrights © 2023 by Fempire Finance

Fempire Finance solely provides information, and is for basic education only. 

The content we produce does not constitute financial advice & is not intended to be relied upon. Financial actions should be taken at your own risk. For specific advice, please speak to an independent financial advisor. 

This site was designed with the
.com
website builder. Create your website today.
Start Now